Friday, January 2, 2015

Unbroken Review

The other day I went and saw the incredible true story, "Unbroken." Directed by Angelina Jolie, this powerful work will make you stop and think, "Ya know, maybe I don't got it that bad." The title unbroken goes a long way to mess with your head as about 30 minutes into the movie I would consider myself to be broken. Seeing the hardships and endurance of the human body and soul in this picture really made me question my own personal strength, and despite my hope that when the day comes that the machines rise up, or the zombies overrun the planet that I would have the strength to pick up a weapon and be the hero of my own tale... looking at what this movie's main character Louis Zamperini went through as the hero of his makes me realize I would probably be the first one killed off.

Starting his life off the wrong way, Louis, or Louie, is young and steeling, thinking he's not worth anything to anyone. Then his brother challenges him to try out for the track team at school and through hard work, discipline, and the simple truth his brother told him, "If you can take it, you can make it," he becomes an olympic runner who competed in Germany before the second world war broke out. Hence where things start to go very wrong for our inspiring hero. He becomes a crew mate on a bomber in the air force, raiding and bombing the empire of Japan. Ironically, during a rescue mission, the plane he is in malfunctions, sending all but three of the crew to their deaths in the vast ocean of the Pacific, and there begins the long hard journey of survival for Louie and his two crew mates. Now I won't go into too much detail, but lets just say I have a terrible fear of the ocean, and ESPECIALLY sharks, so this part of the movie was difficult for me to watch, but what is to follow the hellish journey on the ocean was far worse. Which is where my whole thought of being broken came from. If you split all the things that happen to young louie into 5 separate incidents, I'd been dead on part 1. I think most people would have been, but sadly that was just the beginning. 
Stick with the story from the moment of the crash till the end, and you will have witnessed the darkest cruelty of man, as well as the unbreakable spirit of our stories hero. This movie will make you cry, it will make you cringe, and it will make you want to stand up and scream, "For the love of GOD!" more than once. I give this movie 5 outta 5. 
A must see.

No comments:

Post a Comment